What is a School Council?
The purpose of the School Council is to work collaboratively with the Principal to develop school improvement plans consistent with system wide goals and student performance standards set by the Massachusetts Board of Education. Council members plan ways to meet the diverse learning needs of students; establish a school climate of tolerance and respect for every individual; involve parents in the life of the school; impact safety and discipline; enhance extracurricular activities and more. The Council is composed of at least three parent representatives, at least two staff representatives, at least one student representative and one community representative (if interest shown), and the school Principal.
Massachusetts law outlines four major areas of responsibility for councils. School councils are to assist principals in:
- Adopting educational goals for the school that are consistent with local educational policies and statewide student performance standards
- Identifying the educational needs of students attending the school
- Reviewing the annual school building budget
- Formulating a school improvement plan
- Additionally, for Grades 9 through 12 a review and edit of the Student Handbook is also the School Council’s responsibility.
RMHS has identified the school council goal for the 2020-2021 school year as;
- Student Handbook review and revision
UPCOMING MEETING DATES:
(ALL MEETINGS START @ 5:30 VIA TEAMS LIVE)
Tuesday, January 12th
Tuesday, February 9th
Tuesday, March 9th
Tuesday, April 13th
Tuesday, May 11th
Kate Boynton, principal/chair
1-2 more needed